The once fearful Peter boldly anticipates death. He prepares us to live in the light and handle the “dark ages”.
2 Peter 1:19 So we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts.
- Living in Light – Ch 1
- Lying Leaders – Ch 2
- Leaving no Lost – Ch 3
- Last Days – Ch 3
- Looking to the Lord – Ch 3
In this journey...
- Differentiate between spiritual light and darkness
- Identify people living in light and darkness
- Identify areas in our lives still in darkness
- Patiently strive to draw ourselves and others to the light
Peter’s last letter is addressed to all believers unlike the first addressed specifically to the Jews.
As he boldly anticipates death, he prepares us to live in the light and handle the “dark ages”.
He has read Paul’s letters and refers to them in this letter
Divine Power and Diligence
2 Peter:3 seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. 4 For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust 5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith
Divine Power and Diligence - Definition
Diligence in the bible dictionary is “Conscientious hard work and perseverance, particularly with regard to a relationship with God”.
Diligence needs to be coupled with divine power to be effective else can go in vain.
Divine Power and Diligence
Video clip - Diligence
Parable of the dirty well
Watch over your heart with all diligence,
For from it flowthe springs of life. Prov 4:23
LIving in the Light - Result
Lying Leaders - Discussion
- Read 2 Peter ch 2. What are the characteristics of the lying leaders? Discuss
- What do we learn about Lot in this passage?
Lying Leaders -Result – Doom and Destruction
2 Peter 2 v4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;
v3 their destruction is not asleep.
v 12 born as creatures of instinct to be captured and killed
v 4-6 Face the fate of fallen angels, ungodly, Sodom and Gomorrah, etc.
v 17 These are springs without water and mists driven by a storm, for whom the black darkness has been reserved.
Protection from lying leaders
2 Peter 2:9 then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from temptation, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment for the day of judgment
Darkness before Dawning - Last Days
2 Peter 3:6 through which the world at that time was destroyed, being flooded with water. 7 But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.
2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.
Last Days - Day of the Lord
- There are many ‘day of the Lord’s covered in the bible or is it that “day” refers to God’s judgement over time because a day for God can even be a thousand years for us..
- These are prototypes or warnings of the final destruction
- The one mentioned by Peter seems to be the culmination where heaven and earth the destroyed by fire ushering in the new heavens and earth.
Leaving no Lost
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.
Looking to the Lord
2 Peter 3:13 But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells. 14 Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless
- How do we live in the light in the midst of darkness?
- Share new insights you have gained from this book.