At the time God calls Abraham to father the nation Israel, civilization prospers and grows; almost all have fallen away from God.
Abraham takes time to respond and build faith but eventually goes all out in faith and obedience.
- Background of Abraham
- Abraham’s Journey
- Abraham’s faith chart – soaring faith
- Lot’s faith chart – staggering faith
- Abraham vs. Lot – A common start, an opposite finish
- God fulfils his promises
In this journey...
- Appreciate the consistently growing faith of Abraham
- Differentiate between Abraham and Lot’s approach to the same journey
- Believe God fulfils His promises
Background of Abraham
sHe is called from Ur of the Chaldees (probably in his mid sixties).
- Went to Haran with his father. Blessed by God.
- Answered God’s call on his father’s death. He was 75 yrs.
- Continues to experience God’s providence.
- Ishmael is born in his mid 80s – born when he is around 100 yrs.
- Asked by God to sacrifice his son, Isaac as a test of faith.
Abraham’s Faith chart
1. God calls Abraham
2. Abraham takes his time to respond
3. Abraham moves – but in a different direction – towards Haran
4. God confirms his call to Abraham
5. God confirms Abraham’s call again
6. Abraham and Pharoah
7.Abraham and Lot
8. God confirms Abraham’s descendants. Abraham believes God.
9. Sarah asks Abraham to have a son via Hagar
10. God confirms Abraham’s descendants
11.3 Angels confirm Abraham’s descendants
12. Sodom and Gomorrah
13. Abraham and Abimelech
14. Isaac is born
15. God tests his faith, and asks Abraham to sacrifice Isaac
16. Abraham gets a bride for Isaac
Lot – Staggering Faith
1.Lot goes with Abraham
2.Lot claims Sodom and Gomorrah. He marries and has several children there.
3. Lot risks daughters to stand for angel of God against localities. He runs away as commanded by God with some of his family.
4.Lot’s daughters commit incest – Moabites and Ammonites are born
While our faith may be erratic, God’s faithfulness is always constant and consistent
Abraham and Lot – A Common Start, an Opposite Finish!
|Environment||Both started out on the same journey||Lot could have been a part of Abraham’s great heritage but chose a different path|
|Motive||Abraham “looked for a city with foundations whose builder and maker was God”||Lot chose the lush, prosperous plains of Sodom and Gomorrah also rich in sin|
|Leadership||Abraham exposes his family to his faith and maintains the heritage of God.||Lot exposes his family to sin and drunkenness, destroying them in the process.|
|Growth||Abraham quickly corrects his errors and grows||Lot repeats his errors and falls|
|Legacy||Abraham’s descendants continue his faith in God.||Lot’s descendants (Moabites and Ammonites) quickly turn away from God.|
God Fulfils His Promises
God took 36 years to fulfil his promise of a son – Isaac. During this time, he:
- Led Abraham to the promised land
- Built Abraham’s faith
- Enlarged Abraham’s territories
- Strengthened his relationship with neighbours
- Prepared Abraham to father the chosen nation of God
- Ask for two volunteers. Blindfold one and ask the other to lead the first on a walk
- When walk is done ask feelings of both.
- Both share their experiences.
- Others talk about how they felt when they surrendered phones
- Talk about surrender to God….
- Summarize with importance of surrendering to Lordship of Christ
- What do we learn about God?
- What do we learn about faith?
Are we ready to wait for the fulfilment of God’s promises?
While we are waiting God is working